- One cup of moong daal (washed)
- Five and a half cups of boiling water
- One cup of freshly grated coconut
- Half a teaspoon of cumin
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 green chillies
- One small stem of curry leaves
- Ghee or butter
- Salt to taste
- Roast the daal on the hob until slightly brown.
- Add the water and simmer.
- When three-quarters cooked (around 30 minutes) take off the heat.
- In a separate pan, add the garlic, coconut, cumin, tumeric and chopped chillies. Grind the mixture to a paste.
- Mash the daal into the paste and add a few curry leaves.
- Bring to the boil and add two teaspoons of ghee or butter.
- Serve accompanied with rice and poppadoms